Historic Information

Chase Farm (1867)
In 1661, Thomas Arnold originally purchased the land, which is now Chase Farm Park. In 1867, Benjamin Chase started a dairy farm on the land, which provided door-to-door milk delivery throughout the area until 1965. One of the last working farms in Lincoln, Chase Farm was purchased by the Town and preserved for its historical value and open space. While the original barns were lost in a fire, over 80 acres of picturesque hills and meadows depicting the rural character of the Great Road Historic District are open to the public. Its idyllic setting is enjoyed for walking, kite flying, sledding, and fishing. Special events such as concerts and historical reenactments are held there as well. The Butterfly Gardens, which are maintained by volunteers, and the hilltop overlook and reservoir are special features that add to this scenic landscape. In 2015, the Town contracted with Preserve Rhode Island to restore the Victorian-era farmhouse at the entrance to the Park, and through the rental of this two-family home, the Chase Farmhouse is being preserved as a focal point at the site of this former dairy farm.

669 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865

Hannaway Blacksmith Shop (1880)
Small shops like the Hannaway Blacksmith Shop were once commonplace here in Lincoln, RI. William Hannaway opened his first shop in a lean-to at the Moffett Mill, and later purchased a small carriage house across from the neighboring Hearthside House, where Hannaway forged pieces of hot metal into horsehoes, hinges, nails, hooks and other items for neighboring farms, businesses and homes. The advent of the automobile resulted in less demand for the trade and the shop closed in the 1920s. The 1880 one-story building was donated to the town, moved across the street to Chase Farm Park, and restored. Today, the traditional craft of hand forging is being kept alive with weekly demonstrations and classes, offered by the Friends of Hearthside.

Chase Farm Park
669 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
(401) 726-0597

Hours: Demonstrations and classes are Saturday and Sunday mornings until noon

Moffett Mill (1812)
The renovated two-story Moffett Mill is a rare example of a wooden mill built during the first wave of industrialization in the Blackstone Valley. This special order job shop made parts for ships, machines for the early textile industry, furniture, wagons, carriages and sleighs for the local businesses and farmers. At one time, the second floor housed a fleet of braiding machines to make shoe and corset laces. This old mill on the historic Great Road serves as a reminder of the many mills that once relied on the power of the Moshassuck River to produce goods in the early part of the 19th century. Because of difficulty accessing the site safely along this busy roadway, the mill is only open to visitors on a limited basis. An interpretive panel is located at Chase Farm Park to inform visitors as to the historical importance of this rare treasure.

587 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
(401) 726-0597

Pullen's Corner School (1850)
Better known as the "Hot Potato School", this one-room schoolhouse housed students in eight different grades during the late 19th century, closing in 1922. The teacher, learning the children did not have hot lunches, donated a stove and used donated potatoes to feed the kids. The Town has relocated the historic schoolhouse, originally located on Angell Road, to Chase Farm Park.

Chase Farm Park
669 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865

Valentine Whitman Jr. House (1694)
Whitman's home is one of a few surviving "stone-end" houses built in the 17th century. Whitman was a friend of Roger Williams, founder of Rhode Island. The first town meeting of old Smithfield, which included Lincoln, was held in this house in 1730.
1147 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
(401) 334-2182
Hours:  Open second Saturday of each month, 1-4pm

Arnold Bakery (1874)
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Arnold who resided in the Cumberland section of Lonsdale opened the original bakery in 1874. The one story, one room bakery had one oven and employed only eight people. The bakery became so successful, over 150 people were employed. Restored by the Blackstone Valley Historical Society, this historical property now rests at Northgate.

Originally built as a residence, Northgate served as a tollgate house on the Louisquisset Turnpike. The building is now currently home to the Blackstone Valley Historical Society.

Hearthside House (1810)
Stephen Hopkins Smith built this magnificent two-story stone mansion in 1810. Legend has it that he built the house to impress a young lady with lottery winnings, but she rejected the home as she considered it to be too far out in the wilderness. Although Smith never lived at the house, there have been 11 families over a 200-year period who did call it home. The Town purchased the property in 1996. The Friends of Hearthside, a nonprofit volunteer organization, manages the site, and is committed to its preservation, promotion, protection and interpretation. Knowledgeable, costumed docents provide guided tours with tales of the history of these families on a regular basis as well as for specially-themed historic exhibits and events, which has earned it numerous awards and recognition locally and nationally. Check website for schedule of openings. Also available for group tours by appointment.

677 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
(401) 726-0597


Quaker Meeting House (1704)
Built in 1704, it served as the first house of worship here in Lincoln. Outside of the Quaker Meeting House, on historical Great Road, there is still the old mounting stone used to help people to get into their carriages. Weekly services are still held to this day.
374 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
(401) 724-7249
Hours:  Open third Saturday afternoon of each month

Eleazer Arnold House
In 1693, Eleazer Arnold, a major landowner, built his house along Great Road, one of the earliest roads in the colonies. Two stories high, with a pilastered chimney, the home so dominated the modest dwellings of nearby farmers that it earned the title “Eleazer’s Splendid Mansion.” With its massive chimney end wall, the house is a rare survivor of a once-common Rhode Island building type known as a stone-ender. The structure has sustained many alterations over the centuries. Visitors find evidence of seventeenth-century construction methods, eighteenth-century additions, nineteenth century graffiti, and the twentieth-century approach to preservation that restored the house to its present appearance.

487 Great Road
Lincoln, RI  02865
Phone: (401) 728-9696

Email: arnoldhouse@historicnewengland.org

Open Saturday – Sunday, year round
11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. 
Tours on the hour. Last tour at 4:00 p.m. 
Closed most major holidays.

$5 adults
$4 seniors
$2.50 students
Free for Historic New England members and Lincoln residents. 

Historic New England website: www.historicnewengland.org
Arnold House information link on website:  http://www.historicnewengland.org/historic-properties/homes/arnold-house-1

Manville Music Hall (1895)
Built by Ephrem B. Mandeville, and driven by his passion for music, he formed "The Manville Brass Band." The band grew in popularity and the Music Hall became their stage and practice area. After the band stopped touring, the Music Hall was used as a social function center, and even a jail.

Albion Traffic Signal (1932)
Found at the intersection of School Street and Main Street in Albion, the Albion traffic signal sits above the old water well used by all residents of Albion Village.